NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles
Name: George

Question:
Why are all expensive automobiles Rear Wheel Drive? All police departments use RWD vehicles. What's going on? Is a rear wheel drive vehicle safer and more stable to drive?

I know that one reason police cars use RWD is that they are easier to repair after front-end accidents. Front-wheel drive autos have a lot more problems after running into things. Police cars tend to get a lot of hard use, which front-wheel drive cars can't handle too well.

(About five years ago, the Baltimore police department bought front-wheel drive Ford Tauruses for patrol cars, and they did not work out very well.)

When a car is accelerating, the front is lifted, sometimes even off of the ground. RWD would allow the powered tires to maintain in contact with the pavement. I don't know if it is more stabled though. I've heard of both FWD and RWD cars fish-tailing at high accelerations.

Hope this helps

-Wil Lam

If one looks at the mechanical design of the conventional rear wheel drive vehicle, it is clear that the vehicle can handle larger cubic inch engines and be able to deliver more torque to the rear wheels as compared to the front-wheel drive vehicles. But one must keep in mind the inefficiency of the long drive shaft versus the more direct-drive principle of the front wheel drive auto.

Sincerely,

Bob Trach