NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Trains and Steam Engines
Name: Judith M.

Question:
Are there any experiments about trains or steam engines?

I am teaching a 2 hr class for 5-11 year olds on trains and am looking for any experiments on steam engines, or anything else that I could tie into the study of trains. I have lots of the history and social impact but no experiments (which is what the kids really want!)

There are a number of companies that make model steam engines. They are rather expensive. The one I use in my demos is made by Jensen. If you do a web search, you will likely find suppliers for these.

If your budget does not allow this kind of investment, you might consider a Hero's engine. Designed in Alexandria in about 62AD, it is a demonstration of steam power (though not a steam engine). A drawing of the original can be found at

http://www.history.rochester.edu/steam/hero/section50.html

Models of it are available from science supply houses for about $25. Or build the economy (requires a pop can) from the drawings at

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/TRC/Rockets/hero.html

Good luck and full steam ahead.