NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sound Wave Movers
Name: Barrie

Question:
Can you provide me with information on an individual, company or organization that has researched, tested and proven the following can work?

Sound waves, (preferable a sign wave) produce motion in the air as they move. I would like to know if any of the afore mentioned have proven these waves can be a force to move an object. I'm not referring to the movements of an object sitting atop a speaker. I want proof sound can move something like a car or train.

There are many examples of sound moving other objects. An explosion is a sound wave of sorts that can move large objects. A string which is the appropriate length, diameter, material etc. can move in "resonance" with another string being plucked. Most musical instruments sound like they do because sound waves produced in one part the instrument cause the motion of other parts of the instrument.

I do not know if anyone has been able to push a car with sound waves, but a simple experiment is possible, light a match and hold it a couple of feet from a sub-woofer and you would be able to see the fire move, thats proof that sound can produce motion. The amount of energy you would need to push a car with sound would probably be very great also you would also need an extremely low wave, if anyone has done it it would be the military, I'm not sure if they can push things with sound waves but they can destroy things with them.

Michael Baldwin