NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Thermal Transfer
Name: Katie

Question:
I am thinking about trying to conduct an experiment where I take a container (like a big fish aquarium) shine a light on it and measure how fast the temprature rises. Then, take the same container and with carbon-dioxide in it, then repeat the light-temprature experiment. I was thinking of starting with dry-ice to get the CO2. My questions are: Do you think this experiment makes sense?

Can it work? Is there any information available on conducting this kind of experiment? Thanks, Katie

I think you are going to have to take some pretty sophisticated precautions to eliminate heat leaks from both undesired radiation (Remember radiant energy varies as T^4 power where T is in Kelvins, and adjuvant heat conduction. An estimate of the expected temperature changes on a 55 gallon fish tank scale also suggest the need of very sensitive [which means $$$$ thermometers].

I hate to be negative but I think the background is going to wash out the effect you wish to measure.