NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Viscosity of Non-Newtonian Fluid
Name: Dyah

Question:
How do we determine the viscosity of a sand-water solution? I'm working with a non-newtonian fluid (the sand-water solution) and I want to measure its viscosity. What kind of viscometer should I use? thanks before...

This is not an easy question to answer simply. As you imply the non-newtonian nature of sand/water mixtures means that the shear rate [rate of flow] depends on the shear stress [ force gradient in some complex way. There are a number of commercial instruments for doing this but they are all very complicated, expensive, and don't measure the same "thing" about the sample.

You might get some leads from manufacturers: Brookfield Inc. and Haake Inc. come to mind but it is a tough problem.