NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gas Recovery
Name: David

Question:
Can the CO2 gases be recovered from the exhaust of a cogeneration plant (combined heat & power system - reciprocating engine) that is being powered from the methane gas being gathered from a landfill site? Any information that you can send me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I have not been involved with the cogen area for some time, but here goes. Unless the message author knows for a fact that the cogeneration plant in question involves a reciprocating engine, I think he has some facts wrong. Large scale cogeneration plants normally provide process heat (directly or via a steam generation cycle) and electrical power--hence the term cogeneration. Cogen plants are normally powered by combustion turbines and not reciprocating engines, but the author may have a plant in mind that uses such an engine. It is more likely that methane from a landfill operation is being piped to a turbine engine to provide the basic power in the plant. The exhaust heat from the turbine (?) provides the process heat for one function and the turbine drives a generator that provides the electricity for the second function. I know the turbine would produce CO, but am not sure about the CO2, which the author speaks of. I do not recall from my days long ago at an engineering firm if either the CO or CO2 was able to be recovered or if it was economically viable to do so.

For further reference, I would refer the person to the Electric Power Research Insititute (EPRI) in California, or a large architect-engineering firm like Sargent & Lundy in Chicago, Black & Veatch in Kansas City, MO, or Burns and McDonnell in St. Louis or Kansas City that deals with the design of fossil plants, cogeneration plants, and other industrial heat or electricity plants. Sorry I could not do better directly.

John S.