NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ocean Housing
Name: Rob

Question:
I am a graduate student working on a practicum which involves an underwater building facility. I am interested in obtaining information on the pressures and forces which will be exerted on my building while submerged under water.

What are the issues I should investigate and perhaps the materials i should be considering? thank you in advance.

Dear Rob:

I cannot answer your questions directly because marine engineering or oceanography are not my primary fields. You may find the answers to your questions, however by consulting places like the oceanography people at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, the University of California-San Diego Scripps Institute, the University of Washington in Seattle or the University of Oregon or Oregon State University, or the University of Miami, FL. You might also wish to consult the marine engineering research departments of various navy departments (such as the Royal Canadian Navy or the U.S. Navy Underwater Warfare Center in San Diego, CA). You might also consult, via the Internet, the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. I wish I could provide more direct information for your inquiry.

John Suermann