NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Airplane Crashing Safety Devices
Name: Sharay

Question:
I have been flying alone since the age of 4. In 1997, i had a terrible experiece on a flight from SF to DFW. The turbulence was so bad the plane was uncontrollable. Our plane dropped a few hundred feet. I was terrified. Now i have a serious fear of flying.

Ever since i was young i wondered why parachutes couldn't be put on aircrafts. The concept seems sort of ridiculous. But what i visioned in my mind seems possible. With all of the innovative technology today, why can't parachutes be placed on the body of the aircraft? Something that can be operated if all power fails or engines blow. "Shut all power off and activate emergency landing gear." (release parachutes)

Just like we now have airbags in vehicles, i am sure someone will read my store and become a famous inventor by implementing this on paper.....

I would try but i know nothing about aiplanes.

I still see the vision....
I know its possible...

I saw a program on either the Discovery Channel or the Learning Channel in which such a parachute was demonstrated.

Sharay -

Your visions exists in some small aircraft. It is called a ballistic recovery chute. The entire ship is lowed with the emergency chute. It is not likely to be retrofitted to existing small aircraft because of weight and balance limitations. The problem that must be conquered to apply this to airliners is one of weight. The the brc's handle 2-3000 pounds. A Boeing 757 weighs about 300,000 pounds. A 747 as much as 700,000 to 1,000,000 pounds. This is a difference in the order of 1000 times. In other words, using the present technology, it would require about 1000 parachutes to lower an airliner. If a chute weighs 100 pounds, we would have to add 100,000 pounds to the weight of the aircraft to include recovery chutes.

Never say never, but this change is unlikely until we develop considerable new technology. Dream on.