NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Fiber Optic Cable
Name: Trevor

Question:
I need to know 2 things about fiber optic cable

1.) First I need to know if photons emit from the load end of the cable.

2.) Second if photons are present at the load end of the fiber optic cable that what is the ratio of photons emitted.

The ratio of output photons to input photons? This is complicated. It depends on many things including the wavelength of the photons, the transparency of the fiber at that wavelength, how efficiently photons of that wavelength are "reflected" from the fiber "walls" while inside the fiber, and how well the ends are terminated. (If the index of refraction of the material that the end of the fiber is in contact with is different from the index of refraction of the fiber's core, then some photons will be reflected back into the fiber by the interface.)