NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Echo Measurements
Name: Jim

Question:
I am trying to construct for a class project a device (computerized) that can determine the correct resonant frequency of an object at a range.

So far, I have determined that I should send out a "chirp" of a lot of what to look for in the echo to indicate what the fundamental frequency is...

Any ideas on how I could determine this?

I guess I'd take a Fourier transform of the chirp and compare it to a Fourier transform of the echoed waveform.