NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cavitation
Name: Mohammed

Question:
Are there any formulas to predict cavitation in given design?

If you have not already checked out some basic text books on Fluid Dynamics, I suggest you do so. I do not have any texts handy to suggest to you, but if you read up on cavitation with respect to air, water (i.e., planes, pumps or boat propulsion systems) it should give you a good start point. It has been a long time since I studied fluids, but as I recall there were formulas dealing with the effects of cavitation (I think due to lower pressures developing in the moving fluid which produce vapor pockets and a loss in the transfer of energy between the object and the fluid moving around it). I recommend you talk to a fluids pro on this subject (which I am not).

John Suermann