NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Heat Dissipation
Name: Joel

Question:
I was wondering what would be a really good metal (Or the best) for disapating heat. Such as a heat sink. Everybody uses Aluminum but I was wondering what would be better (Preferably a lot better). Alloys included.

Also, I looked in a chemistry book concerning this question and I am afraid I was not able to figure anything out. Could you tell me what to look for on the subject? (Ahhh. This is where I have the chance to LEARN something!)

Aluminum is used because it is inexpensive other alternatives are the noble metals: copper, silver and gold. Now you understand why Aluminum is utilized.

Dr. Myron

One rule of thumb on heat sinks is that a material that is a good conductor of electricity is also a good conductor of heat. So copper, gold, silver, etc. are going to be good conductors of heat, but they will be limited by their melting points. Each material has a property called thermal conductivity. You can look in most heat transfer or thermodynamic books to find a listing of these numbers. Look into a heat transfer book on conduction and Fourier's law.

Good luck.

Dr. Murphy

Cannot tell you what the "best" metal is due to lack of information and not being an expert on the subject. However, you can get an idea of the heat transfer capabilities of various metals by reading textbooks or other material on the subject of conductive heat transfer or possibly radiant heat transfer. I do not believe convection heat transfer (like in a convection oven) will work for you based on what general information you provided.

J. Suermann

Copper is better because it's a better conductor of heat. The best by far is diamond. It's thermal conductivity, especially at very low temperatures, is unbelievable. Look for thermal conductivity in a physics reference book.