NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne AC Induction Motor
Name: Daniel Allen

Question:
At an energy show I saw something that floored me. A large AC Incuction motor driving a generator load that when hooked to a bank of capacitors it then drew 1/2 the amps while driving the full load! How did they do this?

I can't tell from the question what was hooked up to what, what the load was, what the generator was connected to, or whether the capacitors were driving the motor or being driven by the generator, so I'm not sure my answer is going to be relevant.

I can at least say that driving a capacitor is pretty much like bouncing on a trampoline: in the ideal case it requires no energy over a complete cycle because all the energy you put into it in the first half cycle is given back to you in the second half.