NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sound Testing of Strength
Name: Henry J. Galavis

Question:
Can the strength of forged steel be tested by sound resonance?

I know of no way one can directly measure the strength of forged steel (or any steel) by sound resonance. However, I do know that you can determine some physical properties of a material (like density and Modulus of Elasticity for example) by ultrasonic measuring devices. Also, you can determine flaws and flaw sizes of materials by ultrasound. The number of flaws will determine some of the strength characteristics. You might try to find some journals or books at a library on non-destructive testing (NDT).

Good luck.

Vanhoeck