NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Brick Insulation
Name: Cesar Baquerizo  Arosemena

Question:
What I meant was that if I design a house for example and I want it to be insulated from sound and heat, so that I don't need to have my AC on, and the external walls, are made of bricks, but these bricks, have holes in them, Is it better to leave the holes empty, or is it better to fill them with sand?

Filling the holes in the bricks with sand might make the walls more bulletproof, but it probably won't help insulate against sound or heat. Air is a very good insulator for heat, as long as it cannot circulate. The air locked in the holes in a brick can't circulate much.

Pockets of air also make good soundproofing. Sound travels through solids well, but putting holes in the solids causes the sound to break up as it goes from solid to air and back again, and the sound will interfere with itself and lose energy.

I think the real reason that some bricks have holes in them, though, is to make them hold their mortar more strongly.

Richard Barrans Jr., Ph.D.