NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Random Number Generators

Name: Simon
Grade: n/a
Country: Sweden
Date: May 2, 2011 

Question:
If you have ever been playing Minecraft 1.5_01, you know about "seeds" or numbers for the world generation algorithm. What I want to know is how it works and/or how many worlds that it can create.

I do not know about the game. But here is the "problem". To generate a "random" number, one starts with a "seed" number of arbitrary length. Then that is then fed into a complex series of computations. A different "seed" gives a completely different result of the different series of computations. The different "seed" and a different algorithm (which may change from one cycle to the next) gives a certain result, which may again be re-cycled into another algorithm. To a given degree of "accuracy" the final result may be "random". "Randomness" depends upon the choice of "seed", the algorithm, and the number of cycles. I don't know that it has been proven mathematically that a certain procedure the guarantees a "random" number (that is a totally different mathematical problem). That, at the present of the mathematical "art" has not been proven, but that is not my area of expertise.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives