NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Recovery of Deleted Email
Name: Tina

Question:
I have e-mails that have been deleted how do I recover this data.

It depends upon exactly what you mean by "deleted". In Window's Outlook Express when you "delete" a message, it isn't "really" deleted. Rather it filed in the "Deleted Messages" folder. If you have not emptied that folder recently all you have to do is click on your "Inbox" which will drop down a panel of a number of options, one of which is "Deleted Messages". If you click that icon, and not too many messages have been subsequently "deleted" you will find it there.

There is a similar folder named "Sent Messages". For reasons that are not clear to me, the default in OE does not tally your "Sent Messages". If you click on that icon, you may find several megabytes worth of disc space hiding in this "useless" disc space. Deleting those messages can retrieve a lot of disc space you didn't know was in hiding!

There is a way of even retrieving messages that have been emptied from the "Deleted Messages" folder, if it isn't too late, but I'd have to consult a manual on how to do that.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives