NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Reducing Data, Increasing File Size
Name: Jim B.

Question:
For backup purposes I am trying to reduce the quantity of the data to back up. I am running a WIN 2000 pro system. I had about 13K files, some with large attachments, in my Outlook Express Inbox.DBF and Sent Items.DBF files. They totaled about 2.8GB worth of data. I deleted most of the files (out of the Deleted Items area as well). The size of the 2 aforementioned DBX files actually increased slightly. I did not expect that. The result is that my backup problems are exacerbated. What is up?

The most recent issue of the magazine PC World (Summer 2004) had several recommendations for freeing up disc space. There is inexpensive software that can help by defragging registry files (not a task for the timid). The option that I was not aware of is deleting files in the "sent items" folder of Outlook Express. This is different than the "deleted items" folder, and at least on my computer was not showing the number of files contained in the "sent items" folder. I freed up 2Gb of old messages by emptying this folder. It is worth a try.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives