NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Monitoring Web Usage
Name: P Stone

Question:
How could you read the history of Internet Explorer after it has been dumped in the trash - deleted (Mac or PC.) I can find cache entries but cannot seem to connect them to the Internet. I want to be able to monitor Internet usage by students who have been posting and abusing computer privileges that escape our net nanny program.

If you are on a school network the web master should be able to retrieve deleted files if they are not too old. Nothing is really "deleted" until it is overwritten, and even then 'experts' can often pull up overwritten files with the proper hardware/software.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives