NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne ! on EISA
Name: Frank K.
Date: March 2004

Question:
We have a computer at school that received a virus. I restarted in safe mode, ran a virus checker and removed the problem. Many programs were not correct and I was able to fix and get the computer working fine again. One problem though, in the system properties, under device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point on: EISA direct memory access controller. I tried to reinstall the driver but to no avail. There is NO yellow ! on the Direct memory access controller icon.

Any chance you can send me directions on how to relieve this issue? Everything I can see runs fine, except sound. When the Sound Blaster menu is opened, it states that the SB is not installed. I already tried to re-install this. What does the error say when you double-click on the yellow "!" in the Device Manager? Does it say (in effect) "the driver does not work" or does it say something about resources, for instance not enough free IRQ levels?

Is there a yellow "!" next to the sound card in Device Manager? What does that say?

It sounds a bit like there is a resource conflict somewhere. My (somewhat limited) experience (at least as far as virii go) suggests that the virus was taking an IRQ for some reason and reshuffled the other devices. Or maybe not. Let me know what the error messages say in Device Manager if you have not figured it out already.

Jonathan Card

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives