NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Video Processing Hardware
Name: Unknown
Age: Old
Date: May 2003

Question:
I want to do video editing I am on a vaio pcv-rx 550 right now when I bought this computer it was good but as I get more involved I find it slow for what I want to do I was told the mac with a dual processor is the best choice why? I have been cross platform for years because I do graphics but so people say it does not matter. What should I look for when purchasing another system?

Hi,

You have two choices on ways to go. You can go with a Mac, or with a PC that is a Workstation. Workstations are different than desktops in the PC world. They are quite a bit more powerful, and are typically a step below a server. In the company I work for, we use both Macs and Workstations for this purpose. The reason for this is that some of people that we work with (Publishers, Graphic Artists, Printers) use one platform or the other. This would be extremely expensive for an individual, so I would go for the option that is powerful, but a little less expensive. In my opinion, I would go with a good dual processor PowerMac G4 which will cost you less that 4K. If you went with a good Workstation, it could cost anywhere from 3K to 8K, depending on the options. One thing that I have noticed about the Mac platform for a long time, is the fact that it handles graphics A LOT faster than a PC. I do not understand why (1.4 GHz should be the same on every computer, right? Not so) but the Mac will beat out a PC any day when working with graphics.

When you do decide, and have been running on the new machine for a while, let me know what you decided on and if you are happy.

Nick Hitchcock

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives