NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Windows and Screen Size
Name: Dot J.
Age: Old
Date: April 2003

Question:
For whatever reason all my windows open up approximately 1/2 the size of my screen and is usually in the middle of the screen. I have to always maximize the screen. Is there a setting that I may have inadvertently changed or where could I make this change to have the programs open up full screen?

Yes, it is likely that you altered a setting on your video screen. Pull out the manual and you will find instructions on how to adjust various parameters of your display -- whether its too fat or skinny, whether its slanted etc -- one of the adjustments is the size. If you cannot find the manual, contact the manufacturer and/or local computer (or T.V.) store. They usually can walk you through how to readjust the settings. The procedure is different for each make/model of video so there is no "one size fits all" solution, but unless you have somehow "blown" something in the video display, this shouldn't be too difficult. Alternatively, ask some 10-13 year old, they will know how to fix it!!

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives