NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne File Fonts and Email
Name: Aissa M.
Date: November 2002

Question:
I am a graphic designer and have worked primarily with Macs. However, at my current job I work with a PC. I make ads for our company and send those ads via e-mail to the publishers. We use a certain font for all our ads and when I send the ads to the publishers I must include all the pictures/images/logos/fonts to collect for output. On my Mac I can go into my font software, click on a font folder and drag it to a disk or insert it as an attachment on an e-mail so if the person I am sending the ad does not have that particular font that person can add that font folder to their font software and use it when opening the document so there is no need for substitution of fonts which can alter the measurements and design of the ad. PC does not seem to have that ability. In closing my question is, How can I send a font via e-mail to another PC/Mac user and how can I download that font from our software in order to attach it or place it on a disk?

Aissa,

You should be able to email the font files you desire.

The fonts used by your machine (PC) may be found in C, Windows, Fonts.

Once the recipient places the font file into that folder, the font will be available (may need to reboot) for text editing.

Ric Rupnik

Aissa,
You have come across one of the most maddening things when dealing with cross platform publications. One of the toughest things is that you cannot use Mac fonts on a PC and vise-versa. You can email PC fonts for another PC user to use. Heres how you do it:

First, you will need to find the font that you need. Fonts are located in the following:

Windows 95/98/ME: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS
Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP: C:\WINNT\FONTS

Second,
You will need to attach all the various versions of the font to your email. For some crazy reason, font designers create files for each size and each style of the same font. It is not uncommon to have 6 or 8 files for one font.

I hope this helps. If you are still having issues, feel free to send us another question.

Nick Hitchcock

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives