NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne XP Shutdown Hanging
Name: Nelly
Date: October 2002

Question:
I have a dell laptop, Pentium IV Windows XP. Recently, I noticed that there are some problem with my computer. Whenever I shut down my computer, it always hangs. I have to press the turn off button long enough so that it will turn off. What happened to my computer? Will this harm my computer? I also notice that my computer always encounters "unresponding program" problem.

Nelly,

While there probably couldbe a variety of problems, in the past I have had this occur when too many programs remained open when I attempted to shut down the computer.

To see if this is the cause of your situation, you can go to the system tray ay the bottom of your screen, right click on each open program, and close them infdividually . One they are closed, attempt your normal shutdown. If this works, then you would have to decide if you need all of the programs opening at startup. If so, you can save yourself time by shutting each down prior to your computer shutdown.

Ric Rupnik

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives