NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Platform Adaptability
Name: Unknown
Date: Around 2001

Question:
My high school will be moving into a new facility. The administration has chosen the Windows platform over Macs and distributed IBM laptops to all faculty this year. It turned out to be a smooth transition. However, during a technology planning meeting, the departments that use graphics insisted that Macs are best for graphics and artistic uses. The publishing of school newspapers, literary magazines, etc. also insist that the Window software is lacking compared to Macs for layouts and related functions.

These people are not experts in technology. We need expert opinions and facts about the idea that only Macs can do these jobs. To show my bias, I strongly feel that we can not support financially both platforms. What is your opinion on this concern?

WOW! Talk about asking for a fight! I have used both OS's in the order: IBM ---> MAC ---> WINDOWS. I was unhappy with each conversion, having to learn a new system. Each system has its advantages/disadvantages, in my opinion. Apple has targeted the "school market" aggressively for years; Microsoft on the other hand, has targeted the business world.

MAC's may/may not have superior graphics. I do not know. I would pose the question: "Is making good graphics the most important function of a computer in the long run?" My opinion is that the answer is, "No." but that is my opinion.

What I DO know is that when students graduate and enter the business world, they WILL have to learn the Windows system, no matter what they used in school. I do not think it is feasible to run both systems side by side, there are just too many incompatibilities.

Easy graphics and Bill Gates' monopoly aside, I think the answer is clear.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives