NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne TV and Computer Interference
Name: George N.
Date: Around 2001

Question:
Dear sir

Can you tell me what is the best way of stopping inerference to my tv from my computer, apart from pulling the plug!

I have even tried lead shielding but to no avail. There are no antenna cables nearby the tv is about 10 meters away but Iam still getting interference. would a completely new seperate power supply with it's own fuse do the trick.

I would appreceate any help that you can give me.

I am by no means an expert in this field, but if I had the problem, I would check the following, based on the principle that you are emitting some radio frequency from somewhere in the computer, and this would suggest a high voltage source.

1. Try to isolate the source by turning off the monitor, the printer, the scanner.... and any other peripherals you have one at a time and see what response you get from the TV. This will make sure the problem is with the computer itself. What comes to mind is that the monitor's high voltage circuitry may be misbehaving. Make sure the power input to the computer is "three pronged"

2. Make sure all lead wires are shielded co-axial cable and that the shields, as well as the computer components are grounded properly. If they are not, a wire can act as an antenna for radio frequency electromagnetic radiation. You could also run a ground wire from the computer and monitor housing to an independent ground such as the screws holding the face plate on the house receptacle.

3. If you do not have one, buy a power surge protector and plug all power inputs off of it. These inexpensive devices are intended to protect your equipment from power surges, but I think they work both ways and would dampen any AC from the computer leaking back into the house wiring. You may also want to put a power surge protector on the TV set. My thinking here is that you may be setting up some kind of AC signal in the house wiring and this is acting like an antenna.

4. If none of this works, you may need to have the computer looked at by a repair service who can hook up the computer to an oscilloscope and monitor any AC fields being generated.

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives