NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Computer Education Needs
Name: Stephanie
Date: Around 1999

Question:
Do I have to have a degree in computer science to work on power point, word, access, etc, in certain offices? Can I go to trade school to get an associates degree in computer science

Stephanie,

That is a great question. At this present time, you don't need a degree to work in the computer field BUT, with the changing industry and the integration of computer systems it is preferred to have a degree in CIS or CS. The CIS degree is preferred if you are entering the computer/business industry, and the CS degree is preferred if you are entering computer design/complex math calculations. Companies are looking for people that can do more than Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. But going to a trade school or a junior college and getting your associates degree is a step in the right direction. I would recommend getting your associates degree and then transferring to a college or university to achieve your CIS. Another reason to go for the CIS/CS degree is when you are looking for a career job, you will have a large pool of jobs to look into, if you stick with your associates or less, your range of selection is greatly narrowed.

I hope this sheds some light on your question.

Joe Noga MCP, N+
Network Support
Argonne National Laborator

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives