NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne C Programming
Name: Nick
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I am a senior in high school and I am doing a research paper on C programming. I have taken great interest in programming and wanted to know more about how it originated. I would like to know when C language became used in programming, and just a brief history of C. This would be a great help. Thank you.

C was originally developed by Dennis Ritchie at Bell laboratories in the early 1970's. It was developed to be a portable, general, and efficient language. By providing a simple syntax and a standard library, the language was able to acheive these goals.

In 1978, Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan published a book, "The C Programming Language", which basically became the first standard C.

From this point, it rapidly became more popular. By the late 1980's (around 1987) it was one of the most popular languages for programming, and was used on just about every type of platform.

In 1989, the ANSI standard for C was finalized.

Unfortunately, the AT&T C++ standard was written in the late 1980's and rapidly took over. Since programs written in C can be compiled in C++, it was easy for C programmers to simply switch compilers, use all their old programs, and learn C++.

By 1990, it was clear C++ would be the new standard. Today programs written completely in ANSI C are extremely rare, and many "C" compilers have incorporated at least some of the features of C++.

--Eric Tolman

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives