NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Deletions
Name: Paul
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I accidentally deleted a folder from a floppy disk. The folder contained about 10 files. When you delete files on a floppy are they written over or are they still there and is there some way to restore them (a utility such as Norton Utilities perhaps)? I have not written anything to this floppy since I deleted the folder.

Paul, there might be a chance that you can get you files back. Norton might have a utility that will be able to get your information. It is a good thing that you have not written anything to the disk this will increase the odds of getting all of your information back. Also, make sure you keep a backup of all your information when working with floppies, they are easily damaged, by magnets and other environmental factors. It might be a bit of a pain, but it will help you sleep better at night knowing that you have 2 copies of your work.

Joe Noga MCP, N+
Network Support

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives