NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Serial Bus
Name: Justin Case
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me just exactly how a Universal Serial Bus works. I know that it is somewhat related to a parallel or serial port, but I cannot find any information on how those work either. I've been trying to find information on USB, but everywhere I go the only information I can find is on what the USB is used for. Please reply a.s.a.p. because I am in desperate need of assistance. Thank You.

Have you checked out USB.org? They have a very good F.A.Q. there that explains a lot about the functions of USB as well as how it works. The URL for the USB F.A.Q. is:

http://www.usb.org/faq.html

Also, there is a group called the USB-IF that basically is a group of companies that work together to develop the standards for the technology. Many corporate web sites have information regarding USB-IF. Hope this helps!

-Ken

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives