NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Browsers and Print Size
Name: Lorelei 
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I have a question that is not directly related to ENC, but deals with html pages. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have put a graphic online. (scanned at 72 ppi, jpg)

I have constrained the display width and height so that it displays fine on both a Mac and PC (about 7 inches wide, 10 inches tall)

When printed on a Mac, it fills the page appropriately (7x10), But when printed on a PC, it prints much smaller (like 5x7).

I need the viewers to get a printout that is the same exact size, no matter if they print from a Mac or PC.

Does anyone know if there is an html tag to constrain the print size? It must have to do with the resolution (Mac 72, PC 96 ppi), but I don't know how to resolve it and my school needs an image posted that will print consistently in size.

This is not an HTML issue, this is a browser issue. There might be a setting inside the particular browser that will allow you to print to scale, but I don't know.

Instead, I would take your image and export it as an Adobe PDF document. This way you will have the best possible quality at the exact same size no matter where you open the file. See http://www.adobe.com and click Acrobat for more information.

-Ken

Unfortunately Netscape (and I believe Internet Explorer) prints based on your screen resolution. Even if you solve the PC-Mac problem you might still be out of luck based on the user's computer resolution setting.

As far as I know the best way to get everyone the same picture the best way is to use a web publisher such as Adobe Acrobat.

Kevin McCarron
c/o Oak Park and River Forest High School
201 N Scoville Avenue
Oak Park IL 60302
708.383.0700

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives