NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne System Analysis
Name: Matt Reed
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I'm interested in becoming a computer system analyst. Could you please e-mail me back and tell what this job is and all the connections are like what he does,what kind of money,education,and future outlook and what school I would mostly be able to go to. Please e-mail me back and I will be very happy with your return.

Matt, great Question!!

I could tell you first hand that a Computer Analysts is a very broad term. There are many fields of CA you can go into. There are many jobs an Analysts does, from running multi platform servers to making sure your clients computers are running properly. The best option to explore is to get a general flavor of the computer industry. Try to get involved on many computer projects whether it is from installing a new hard drive to installing a new network. This day and age is driven on information and the business world depends on computer analysis's to supply this information and they are willing to shell out the major coin for this information. As for school, there are two routes you can take, the Large University or Small College. Personally I came from a small college and I feel that I accomplished more than my large university counterparts. This is due to the personal skills that I developed in the small school setting. Corporations are looking for the technical information but they also want a person that they can call on to convey information to the common person and that is where the personal skills come in hand.

As for school curriculum, make sure the school, offers the basics first. Like C++ programming, Visual Basic programming, along with an operating systems class. OPSYS will help you understand all the processes that take place when you flip on the power switch of your computer and beyond. Knowing this information out of college will help your marketability when it come to land the job you want. Not what you have to settle for. As for the money aspect, most computer or Annalists, make 40,000 - 55,000 out of college with 2 years of experience(internship).As the experience grows so does the dollars. Another added benefit to making your self marketable, are Vendor Certifications. You might have heard of them, Microsoft and Cisco are the big names in the market. Microsoft and Cisco, both offer test that you can take on a specific subject, such as networks, upon successful completion of the test you become certified in that field. When it all comes down to is, if you are certified this proves that you know what you are doing and you have the backing of a big name like Microsoft to prove it. Hence you are worth more to a company, and they will reward you with a higher salary.

I hope this helped your quest,

Joe Noga MCP
Network Support Argonne National Laboratory

Click here to return to the Computer Science Archives