NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne CO2 Calculations
Name: shiva
Date: Around 1999 

Question:
I would like to know how much Vinegar and Baking soda is required to produce 1 gram of CO2 and how is the answer arrived at. I have determined that in the total reaction of CH3OOH (vinegar) + NaHCO3 (Baking Soda) --> CH3COONa + H2CO3 --> H2O + CO2, CO2 comprises 29,7% of the atomic weight of both initial molecules. The total atomic weight of both is 74. Baking soda = 42 and vinegar = 32 So my deduction is that to produce 1 gram of CO2 I would mix a total weight of 3,36 grams of substances being 1,45 grams of vinegar and 1,91 grams of baking soda. Is this assumption correct and does the fact that the baking soda is in a solid state and vinegar in liquid state influence my calculations?

First of all: baking soda is NaHCO3. Na2CO3 is washing soda. What you wrote is not a balanced equation. You would need two acetic acids to neutralize washing soda; baking soda is already half-neutralized washing soda, so you need only one acetic acid. Second: vinegar is not pure acetic acid. It's a solution in water, of about 5% acetic acid. So you'd have to take that into account as well.

The equation is

NaHCO3 + CH3CO2H --> H2O + CO2 + CH3COONa.

Molar mass of CO2: 12 + 32 = 44 g/mol
NaHCO3: 23 + 1 + 12 + 48 = 84 g/mol
CH3CO2H: 12 + 3 + 12 + 32 + 1 = 60 g/mol

So 1 gram of CO2 (mole/44g) = .0227 moles. You need 0.0227 mole of each baking soda and acetic acid. That's

.0227 (84 g/mol) = 1.91 g baking soda
.0227 (60 g/mol) = 1.36 g acetic acid

You would still need to use the weight percent of acetic acid in vinegar if you wanted to calculate exactly how much vinegar you needed. Or, if you knew the concentration (moles/liter) of acetic acid in the vinegar, you could calculate the necessary volume of vinegar for the reaction.