NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hybridization of Carbon
Name: kika
Date: Around 1999 

Question:
i dont speak english but i hope that you will understand my question...

i want to know why the carbon has the property of "hibridacion"(i cant find the corresponding word in english) because there are other elements whit Z=6 ...

in other words.....whats the first reason for this property ...and why is just for 2 elements ..

thank you for your atention.and for give us and space for our question

I will wating for your answear....

Dear kika,

hybridization is possible for many elements, not just carbon. Many elements can form hybrid orbitals. A few exceptions are H, He, Ar, Kr, and the group 1 metals (Li, Na, K...). But most of the other elements can form hybrid orbitals of various types.

Best Regards,

Prof. Topper
Dept of Chemistry
The Cooper Union