NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Alcohol Poisoning
Name: Avak
Date: Around 1999 

Question:
Dear Sir/Madam

May I ask you what are the most poisoning components of alcohol? If possible: their influences on human organism.

I would really appreciate if you answered. It is very important information for me.

With regards

Hi Avak

alcohol is a generic name for a class of organic compounds. Alcohols are compounds in which a hydroxyl group is attached to a saturated carbon. Simple alcohols are often called by their commom names. Tha commom alcohol is the ethyl alcohol made by the fermentation of sugars and the alcohol used in alcoholic beverages.

Ethyl alcohol is used also for scientific and industrial purposes. In some places the industrial alcohol is adulterated or "denatured" to make it undrinkable. A variety of denaturants are used including methyl alcohol. Methyl alcohol is highly toxic. Ingestion, or exposition to vapors of even small quantities of methyl alcohol can cause blindness.

But...ethyl alcohol ingested pure is hypnptic, depressive and toxic much less than the methyl alcohol, but still toxic.

Thanks for asking NEWTON!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)