NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chemical vs Physical Change
Name: Jennifer
Date: Around 1999 

Question:
Is cooking hamburger and frozen french fries a chemical or physical change ? I'm in 6th grade and i am not clear on physical and chemical changes .

thanks

In terms of the 5 senses, sight, hearing, taste, smell, and feel --

A physical change can cause a change in the way things look, sound (for example, when you drop it), or feel.

In addition to changing the way things look, sound, and feel, a chemical change can cause a change in the way things taste or smell. DO NOT taste non-food items to see if they have undergone a chemical change! But you can, carefully, sniff things.

These "rules" are a little different than what your teacher has told you but I hope that they might help you to understand what your teacher means.

Dr. Bradburn