NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Does air have mass?
Name: mark s scheiber

Question:
Does air have mass?

Yes, it does. It just isn't very dense, so there isn't as much matter in a cup of air as there is in a cup of water. However, it does have mass, and you can calculate it. Let's say I have 1 liter of air at 1 atm of pressure and at 25 degrees Celsius (298K). I can use the equation PV = nRT (the gas law) to calculate n, the number of moles of air, given that R is a constant equal to 0.0821. Now, if you assume that about 70% of those moles are nitrogen gas (weighing 28 grams per mole) and 30% are oxygen (weighing 32 grams per mole) you can estimate how many grams of air you would have.

Try it out!

topper