NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water bubbles
Name:  beth a berry

Question:
I notice that when I leave a glass of water out all night that the next morning it developed little bubbles in the water. Why do these bubbles appear?

I would imagine this: There are gases (like carbon dioxide, oxygen, etc) dissolved in water. When water is heated, these gases are less soluble in the water. When you boil water, the bubbling is dissolved gases being released. So I would say that leaving a glass of water out all night lets the water "warm" up and those bubbles are bubbles of oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc being released. No, you're not boiling the water by leaving it out...the gases are just less soluble at the warmer temperature.

-Joe Schultz