NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Atomic mass unit (AMU)
Name: mark h chu

Question:
What's the difference between AMU and gram atomic mass? Thanks.

The atomic mass unit, or amu, is defined so that the mass of 1 mole of carbon atoms is exactly 12.000000000 amu. The amu has the added convenience of being equal to units of grams per mole; 1 amu = 1 gram/mole. So, one mole of C12 weighs 12.00000000 grams. I believe that this is strictly true....someone correct me if I am mistaken.

-dr topper

The atomic mass unit (amu) is defined to be exactly 1/12 of the mass of a C-12 atom (Not a mole of carbon atoms...) Therefore 1 C-12 atom has a mass of exactly 12.00000000 amu. Also, therefore, 1 amu is a very small unit of mass - specifically 1amu = 1.66053X10^-24 grams. 1.00 mole of C-12 atoms has a mass of 12.0000000 grams!

Dr. Brown

P.S. Most college level general text books do not refer specifically to gram atomic weight. I got the above information from Brown, LeMay and Bursten - "Chemistry- The Central Science" (That Brown is not me.)