NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Table of Diatomic Molecules
Name:  todd rosss

Question:
Is there a table of diatomic molecules?

I always remembered the diatomics this way:

Hi Bronclif!
aka...
HI BrONClF

Hope that helps.

-jschultz

I like that mnemonic Joe! Thanks for sharing that. That helps remember all the HOMONUCLEAR diatomic molecules (both atoms the same); at least, all the common ones. However, there are also many HETERONUCLEAR diatomic molecules;

HCl, NO, CO, HF, CN...

I've never seen a complete list of diatomic molecules, but one that comes pretty close to listing all the relatively stable ones is Huber and Herzberg's "Spectra of Diatomic Molecules."

best, prof topper

From the best of my knowledge there is not a formal table. At the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics are listed and periodically updated all known inorganic compounds together with its physical constants. So you can find there included the diatomic molecules... But, better still... since there are rules for the formation of such molecules, maybe you can yourself try to settle your own Table... And if you want to do so, you can e-mail me privately and I will help you. (You can find the Handbook at a good library or at your school lab.)

Mabel (Mabel M Rodrigues)