NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Charles' and Boyle's Laws explained
Name: Vicki

Question:
Hey- I really hate Charles and Boyels' laws! Is there anyway to help me understand it more thoroughly?

Answer Charles' law and Boyle's law are both examples of "empirical gas laws." What this means is that they wre originally discovered by doing careful measurements of a gas' pressure P, temperature T and volume V. By holding the temperature of the gas fixed and varying its volume, Boyle observed that the larger the volume got, the lower the pressure of the gas became. This inverse relations ship, P = K/V, is Boyle's law. Similarly, by holding P fixed and varying V, Charles found that the larger the volume got, the higher the temperature became: this direct relationship, V = bT, is Charles' law.

We can understand these experiments on a molecular level. Boyle's law works because the speed with which molecules move depends only on the temperature, not on P and V. So in creasing the volume decreases the number of collisions of gas molecules with the walls per unit time, which decreases the pressure. Charles' law is harder. By increasing T we increase the average energy of all the molecules. Yet, we are forcing the pressure to remain fixed, which must mean that the molecules are not colliding with the walls as often. So an increase in V is necessary to decrease the number of collisions per unit time. I hope that this helps!

- topper