NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne 4th grade question about density
Name: Joey

Question:
My name is Joey and I am using my brother's IDF. I am in 4th grade and my science teacher just taught us about density. I don't understand it. I have a test this Friday and I was wondering if anyone can explain it to me. Don't use lots of fancy scientific words because I don't understand them. I don't think anyone can understand this except my teacher. If you could help me out I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Sorry, Joey, I have no idea why this question has gone unanswered for so long. It's really pretty easy: density of an object is the object's mass divided by the object's volume. You can measure an object's density by weighing it and then measure its volume by measuring how much water is displaced when you put the object in a calibrated flask. This all assumes the object is solid. Any substance has a density, too, even liquids an and gases. Measuring their densities usually requires special equipment.

Jade