NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Removing Silver Plate
Name: Evan
Location: IL
Date: August 2008

Question:
My mom has a serving plate that is silver plated. For my science project I would like to remove the silver. how do I do that?

You better be sure your mom is OK with losing a silver plated serving dish, because I am assuming from your question that you want to permanently remove the silver, not just polish it.

You will not recover a lot of silver because the amount plated is usually very small. Some attention has to be paid to what is the base metal being plated because any of the de-silvering methods may also dissolve the base metal. Finally, from the recipes below you see that the de-silvering process makes use of some pretty nasty acids -- nitric and/or sulfuric. You will need help from your science teacher in order to obtain those reagents and to handle them safely.

http://www.crscientific.com/article-silver.html

http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Henley-s-20th-Century-Formulas-Recipes-Processes-Vol3/Plating-Of-Metal-Surfaces-Silvering-Silver-Plating-And-De.html

Evan,

That is a tall order for home chemistry. I think you would be safer and have better results if you had your science teacher let you do this work at school.

Warren Young