NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Alcohol, Ethanol, and Nickel Test
Name: Larry
Location: OR
Date: May 2006

Question:
Can I use isopropyl alcohol instead of ethanol to dissolve dimethylglyoxime for use in a nickel test? I am using the test to confirm nickel in the iron of meteorites. It is more convenient to buy 99% isopropyl alcohol at drugstores than to buy ethanol.

Larry,

You should be able to use IPA instead of EtOH, though you might be required to use larger volumes if it is less soluble. The only issue that I can see is that dimethylglyoxime is insoluble in water, which is what the other 1% of you 99% IPA is most likely to be. The easiest way is to try it for youself, as IPA is not expensive. You might also want to try gentle heating, though always excercise caution when heating flammable solvents--submerging the vessel in a warm to hot water bath is the safest way to gently heat your mixture.

Matt Voss