NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Determining Stove Flame Temperature
Name: Janelle
Location: WI
Date: April 2006

Question:
I recently got a new gas stove. (natural gas, not LP) I cannot get milk, flour and butter (mixture) to boil no matter how long I have it on the stove. Water seems to take a long time to boil compared to my previous stove. (also natural gas)

I asked the appliance dealer and they laughed at me saying a flame is a flame. What determines how hot a flame is? The amount of oxygen? Perhaps they have something adjusted wrong and the gas mixture is not correct.

Janelle,

All flames are definitely not created equal. Take a simple wood ember, it glows red when you blow on it, this suggests that adding more oxygen allows the flame to burn hotter. Check the flame from your stove is it less blue, more yellow then what you had before? For most natural gas stoves, a bright blue flame is a sign that a lot of oxygen is being added to the mixture and allowing the gas to burn more efficiently. A yellow flame is a lean flame, not much oxygen, and is less hot. My guess is that your appliance dealer just doesn't want to take the time to deal with your problem.

Roberto Gregorius