NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Crystal Formation and Alkaline Level
Name:  Alyson
Location:TX

Question:
We are researching the formation of ice crystals and the effect of alkaline level in the water. Does the alkaline level change the structure of the ice crystal formed? We plan to do a comparison with a distilled water ice crystal. Any ideas on how to view these?

I have seen one very nice demonstration of ice formation (at the Boston Museum of Science, I think). They used a light polarization filter to view the crystals.

Greg Bradburn