NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Milk and Vinegar Reaction
Name:  Bailey
Location:N/A

Question:
I am doing a chemistry project on making plastic using milk and vinegar. For this project I am asked to write up a chemical reaction equation for it, but I have no clue how to go about doing that. Since milk is a mixture and not a pure substance, what might the chemical reaction be?

Indeed, milk is a complex mixture and the reactions that occur upon the addition of vinegar (or other acids) is also complex. You might start to sort things out by finding the book: "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee in your library. It is fascinating reading and he does a good job of not being too technical but at the same time being chemically accurate.