NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Burning Calcium Carbonate
Name: Joe V.
Date: 
10/14/2004

Question:
A text book question says CaCO3 burns with O2 to form CaO and CO2.... does it really burn, or just decompose with heat. If it burns, what is the balanced equation?

I think you are right in suspecting that CaCO3 does not undergo combustion, I do not even think that it undergoes decomposition under most laboratory conditions. I know that in my labs, we use a mixture of MgCO3 and CaCO3 (to simulate dolomite) and count on the fact that we can decompose MgCO3 with a bunsen burner, but the CaCO3 remains intact.

Joe,

CaCO3 does not combust, by the definition of the word. It is "converted" into lime (CaO) by a thermal decomposition reaction. This IS a reversible reaction. When the calcium carbonate is heated to around 932 F, it will liberate a CO2 molecule and will become CaO. This, demonstrated as a one way reaction is shown as;

CaCO3 + HEAT (932 F) == CaO (lime) + CO2.

I do not know the exact mechanism of this decomposition. Nor do I know how, exactly, the CO2 would combine with lime (CaO) to go back to its original CaCO3. But I have read that it is a reversible reaction.

Thanks for the question.
Darin Wagner

Joe- you seem to have the correct understanding. It just decomposes with heat.

CaCO3 <--> CaO + CO2.

In either state, both carbon and calcium are fully oxidized, cannot hold any more oxygen atoms.

I believe that CaCO3 decomposes when heated to form CaO and CO2 without the need of any additional O2. This is not combustion in the usual sense of the term.