NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Carbonation and Acidity
Name: Melissa J.

Question:
Hello, my name is Melissa. I have a chemistry question I hope you can answer. Does carbonation have anything to do with acidity in soda pop?

Yes, it does

CO2 + H2O < ---- > H+ + HCO3-

The higher the concentration of CO2 dissolved in the water, the higher the H+ concentration is (the lower the pH or more acid)...

Don Yee