NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Acetic Anhydride
Name:   Rhiannon S.
Status:  student
Age:  16

Question:
I have the weight of acetic anhydride needed for a reaction in grams and moles. I need to work out how many ml I need. Can I do this without knowing the concentration of the acetic anhydride?

Rhiannon,

Yes. Use the relationship for density: d = m / V. Look up the density of acetic anhydride in the chemical handbook. Acetic anhydride (AA) as delivered from the chemical supply company is essentially pure, not dissolved in any solvent. Therefore its concentration is 100 %.

Solve the above relationship for the Volume, namely V = m / d. Divide the mass (grams) you need by the density in g/mL and you will have the volume in mL required for your experiment.

Use caution when handling acetic anhydride. It reacts violently with water to generate heat and acetic acid. Be sure the measuring cylinder is bone dry before you pour the AA into it.

ProfHoff